WHAT DOES TOOTH WHITENING INVOLVE?
Tooth whitening (or bleaching) is a simple, non-invasive dental treatment used to change the color of natural tooth enamel and is an ideal way to enhance the beauty of your smile.
Because having whiter teeth has now become the number one aesthetic concern of most patients, there are a number of ways to whiten teeth. Since tooth whitening only works on natural tooth enamel, it is important to evaluate replacement of any old fillings, crowns, etc. Replacement of any restorations will be done after bleaching so they will match the newly bleached teeth.
Tooth whitening is not permanent. A touch-up maybe needed every several years, and more often if you smoke, drink coffee, tea, or wine.
Reasons for tooth whitening:
- Fluorosis (excessive fluoridation during tooth development).
- Normal wear of outer tooth layer.
- Stained teeth due to medications (tetracycline, etc.).
- Yellow, brown stained teeth.
Philips Zoom – (in-office)
When it comes to Philips Zoom, you’ll get the most dramatic results with WhiteSpeed. In 45 minutes your teeth could be up to 8 shades whiter, reversing stains from food and drinks, aging, even discoloration from some types of medication.
You’ll leave the dentist chair with an instantly brighter, more confident smile.
How to whiten your teeth with Philips Zoom
If you choose WhiteSpeed, your treatment starts with your dentist checking your current shade, so you can both see the dramatic difference after your treatment is complete.
Once you’re ready, just sit back as your dental professional handles the next steps:
- Your dentist preps your mouth for whitening and applies a layer of advanced whitening gel to your teeth.
- To speed up the whitening process, they’ll shine our WhiteSpeed blue LED lamp onto your teeth. This accelerates the whitening, plus the lamp’s variable settings ensure you’ll get a comfortable experience.
- This is repeated three times – and is completed in just 45 minutes!
- Once you’ve reached your desired shade, your dentist will apply our post-treatment gel to help protect enamel and reduce sensitivity.
Before you leave your dentist’s office, you’ll receive customized whitening trays and a take home whitening kit, which is included in the price of your treatment. This way, you can top-up the brightness of your smile whenever you want to.
Whitening Trays (Take-Home)
This type of tooth whitening usually requires two visits. At the first appointment, impressions (molds) will be made of your teeth to fabricate custom, clear plastic, trays.
At your second appointment, you will try on the trays for proper fit, and adjustments will be made if necessary. The trays are worn with special whitening solution either twice a day for 30 minutes or overnight for a couple of weeks depending on the degree of staining and desired level of whitening. It is normal to experience tooth sensitivity during the time you are whitening your teeth, but it will subside shortly after you have stopped bleaching.
You will receive care instructions for your teeth and trays, and be encouraged to visit your dentist regularly to help maintain a beautiful, healthy, white smile.